Sunday, June 6, 2010

Grape Cluster Potholder






Here is a potholder pattern I am currently experimenting with. It is the free Grape Cluster Potholder by Maggie Weldon. I improvised and added the last couple of rows around the edge. The yarn I am using here is Hobby Lobby "I Love this Yarn". Actually, I don't really "love this yarn" too much. It's a little "soft" for potholders in my opinion, even when doubled. I might have to insert potholder insulation from JoAnn Fabric to stiffen it up. I do like the yarn size and the colors. I am in another Crochet Potholder Swap and we are supposed to swap 4 times a year. I need to have my first 4 potholders made by July 5. I have already made two and another front side of this pattern with different sized hooks, trying to get it down to a size I like. I think the general rule of thumb for a good sized potholder is between 6 to 9 inches wide. My personal preference is about 7 to 8" wide. The G hook produced a 9", the F hook produced 8 1/2", and the front side I am still working on was made with an E hook. I am hoping the E hook will produce the "magic size" that I like! I'm not really sure why my bottom photo turned out so dark, but it is the back side to the potholder. I almost like it better than the "grape" side! I will try to post better photos of all the potholders later.

3 comments:

Doris Sturm said...

This is a lovely pattern - I will try making one.

Thanks for sharing :-) and have a nice Sunday.

Michelle said...

Love your sweet potholder...
Really like this design...They are very cute clusters!!!

Allison said...

I just discovered your blog and enjoying all the amazing potholders! I too am in the Dazzling Swap.